Ajax loader
Dessau (Saxe-Anhalt), “Maisons de Maîtres” (Meisterhäuser),
Ebertallee 63 (constr. 1926–28 ; arch. : Walter Gropius).

Maison Klee / Kandinsky : vue du nord.

(Aujourd’hui...
sur 1
Voir Sélections
Masters' Houses Dessau
In 1925, the Bauhaus relocated from Weimar to Dessau. During negotiations with the city of Dessau, the Bauhaus's director Walter Gropius was assigned commissions for the construction of a school building, as well as three semi-detached houses and a detached house for the Bauhaus masters.

Since the majority of Weimar masters followed Gropius to Dessau, the so-called "Masters' Houses" soon became Modernity's most important artists’ colony. Five of the seven Masters' Houses remain to this day: The Kandinsky/Klee House, the Muche/Schlemmer House and the Feininger House. Both the Moholy-Nagy House and the Gropius House have since been destroyed.

The Bauhaus building and the Masters’ Houses have been listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1996.

Bauhaus selection